[TriLUG] "ps2pdf" look familiar??

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Mon Aug 13 12:23:28 EDT 2001

On Tuesday 14 August 2001 04:36 am, you wrote:

> Can anybody tell me something about "ps2pdf".
> I would like to convert a postscript file to pdf file, and came across this
> term on a website, but as of yet have not been able to track down any info
> about what exactly I am looking at as represented by the term "ps2pdf", but
> am hoping it is something I can use to do what I would like to do.
> I looked through my list of RPMS on my CDs, and didn't see the term.
> I searched for it at RedHat(Linux).com.

On a RedHat system, go to the command line
(You're at the command line when you login if you didn't choose the
"graphical login" option during installation.  Otherwise, launch a terminal
emulator program (an Xterm or a KDE Konsole will do).)

The command prompt will look something like this
[you at yourmachine you]$

At the prompt type
ps2

Then press the Tab key.  Your computer may beep.  Press it again.  Suddenly a
list of all of the commands that start with ps2 will be displayed
ps2ascii  ps2epsi   ps2frag   ps2pdf    ps2pk     ps2ps

If nothing is displayed, then you don't have any commands that start with ps2
installed.  As others have mentioned, if it is installed, "man ps2pdf" is a
good place to start reading about how to use the command.  If you can't find
the command, then rpmfind is a good way to figure out which RPM contains the
command.  To verify it, you can list the contents of an RPM: at the command
line, it's rpm -qlp /path/to/package/package_name.rpm.

Good luck,
---Tom