[TriLUG] Wireless networking?

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Tue Aug 14 13:18:04 EDT 2001

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 12:35:11PM -0400, Mark Pilgrim spoke thusly:
> I can't figure out how to set up the wireless networking on the Compaq.

here's what's workign for me. I use the kernel builtin pcmcia (yenta
socket) drivers. To do this :

cd /usr/src/[your kernel source - mine is 2.4.7 right now]
make menuconfig
General Setup -->
   Support for Hotpluggable devices Y
   PCMCIA/CardBus Support -->
      Yes to all
Network Device Support -->
   PCMCIA Network Device Support -->
     Y to device support & wireless LAN
     everything else as modules
   Wireless LAN -->
     Yes or modules to everything

exit & save
make dep && make bzImage modules modules_install
install your kernel

I didn't need to re-make pcmcia_cs - the default one with RHL 7.1 is
working fine for me. But make sure kernel-pcmcia-cs is installed (rpm -qa
|grep kernel will tell you). If not, be sure to install that rpm, and
you have one less thing to compile!

Then you need to configure /etc/pcmcia/* for your system (read the
pcmcia_cs docs, or ask questions here if you need help) and reboot
with your new kernel.

Also, if it's giving errors, it'll be in /var/log/messages - if you
have a specific error, post it, and we'll see if we ahve an answer *grin*

> Am I smoking crack?  Can this setup ever possibly work?  All other computers
> on the network (both MacOS 9 and Windows 2000) work flawlessly.  I would
> love to have a Linux box on the same network so I can gradually wean my
> girlfriend (and myself) off of Windows.

It should. Mine works fine, although with different cards (Orinoco to
a Airport abse station, or AviatorPro card to card)