[TriLUG] Re: backup scheme...

jeremyp at pobox.com jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Aug 15 09:40:13 EDT 2001

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Chris Merrill wrote:

> To this point I have mostly done backups with tar/gzip
> on an as-needed basis (weekly, or whenever I have spare
> time)...but I feel I need something more rigorous...
>
> 2 questions:
> - will linux (RedHat 7.x) handle a drive that large
>   without any special configuration?
> - any suggestions for backup software that I can use
>   to backup entire drives to a network share (NFS or
>   SMB)?

I've been very happy with software called "Arkeia" -- it's fairly easy to
setup, although it is commerical.  I think your network is small enough to
use it for free, though... you can have 1 server and 2 clients for
free.  See http://www.arkeia.com/   I use it with a tape drive, but you
can also backup to hard drives.

The one thing Arkeia needs is a better translator to write the English
version of the manuals... :)

--Jeremy