[TriLUG] KDE 2.2 upgrade jitters

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Tue Aug 21 09:55:17 EDT 2001

Tom Bryan [tbryan at python.net] wrote:
> I'm running RedHat 7.1, and I'd really like to get KDE 2.2 on my box.  I
> grabbed the packages from ibiblio.org today, and now I'm somewhat freaked
> out.  There are about 80 RPMS.  I hope my development machine is stable after
> the upgrade. :-/
>
> I've upgraded bits and pieces before.  What's the recommended course of
> action?  rpm -Uvh *.rpm from the directory where I downloaded the packages?

rpm -Uvh *.rpm is the best way to do it, but be careful with the
"official" RedHat RPMs, they were built for the 7.2 beta (Roswell), *not*
for 7.0 or 7.1.

I've rebuilt everything myself for 7.1, plus all the dependencies I ran into.
You can grab 'em at http://www.opennms.org/~ben/kde2.2/ -- note that I tried
installing a bit later on a clean 7.1 system and some deps were missing
because you'll need Helix Gnome installed (fun with libvorbis and a few
other things), but you should be able to resolve any dependencies without
having to upgrade half of your system to match RH7.2beta.  =)

--
Ben Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick (ranger at befunk.com)
http://defiance.dyndns.org/ / http://radio.scenespot.org/