Personal Information ( was: "[TriLUG] educator's discount at b&n?" )

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Tue Aug 21 14:51:53 EDT 2001

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 12:14:01PM -0400, prhodes at vdsinc.com spoke thusly:
> Why the state?  As far as I'm concerned, the state has absolutely NO
> business knowing what organization(s) I'm a part of. Unless, of course,
> that organization pays me a salary and has to report tax withholding.

In order to retain tax exempt status, ASAIK, we ahve to be able to
prouce contact imformation for members. So if we (or you) get audited,
we can prove you really are a member.

> In my opinion, the only way that any one's personal info should be released
> to the state, should be if it's subpoena'd for evidence in court.

Agreed, but the IRS pretends to be exempt. Please call your
congressman/senator, and join the fight to make the IRS adhere to the
Bill of Rights. *grin*