[TriLUG] Mandrake 8.1 (AGGGHH) -- whyohwhy?

Brett Bolen brettb at nc.rr.com
Wed Aug 22 08:33:11 EDT 2001

I installed mandrake 8.1 beta ( downloaded from jungle.unc).

kde2 looks really nice.  All my devices were detected,
and all seemed well.

I'm working on opengl and xf4.1.0, so I thought I'd
download the latest kernel.

no ftp....

no ncftp....

then horror struck....

NO EMACS.....

AGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH.....

well, It turns out that it doesn't prompt me for the second
cd.  I found some rpms on the second cd, and installed
them.

I found ncftp.   (but ftp doesn't install..)

I found emacs, but it doesn't install ( rpm -U works, but the
executable file doesn't get loaded).

Anyway I downloaded a 2.4.9 kernel ( via ncftp), and tried
to compile a kernel.  The kernel compiles just fine, but
when it boots, the network doesn't work.

I had this problem on mandrake 8.0 also.

The log file has the following:

  ifup cannot open network socket: address family not supported by
     protocol.
  device does not seem to be present:  delaying lo init
  cannot locate module lo
  bringing up lo : failed.

The same thing happens with my tulip network card ( tulip.o exists).

Also it reports something about 'net-pf-16' module not found.

I did a make oldconfig to get the initial settings, then I
went in to xconfig and made some adjustments.  None of the
2.4.9 kernels i tried worked.

This was the reason I dumped mandrake 8.0. ( I had a system I couldn't
upgrade to a newer drm kernel).

Questions:

  1.  What's up with the network?
      Has anybody else run into this problem?
      has the buggy compiler problem been fixed ( ala redhat 7.0)?

      How do i fix it?

  2.  Why doesn't the mkd install ask for the second cd?

  3.  Why can't I get the emacs package to run?

 99.  How dare mdk make a distribution that doesn't have
      emacs loaded on it?

b²