[TriLUG] mandrake 8.1

Daniel T. Chen crimsun at email.unc.edu
Wed Aug 22 16:00:26 EDT 2001

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Brett Bolen wrote:

> > Hrm, it prompted me for the second CD in both "recommended" and
> > "expert" install modes. I guess it depends on your overarching package
> > category selection (desktop computer, etc.).
>
> hmm, I did not see it.  I installed 3 times.

You didn't see the prompt to select an install method ("recommended" or
"expert")? That's odd. We _are_ referring to the 8.1 beta "Raklet," no? (I
pulled both isos from jungle.)

> When you boot mandrake8.1, does it complain about the second stage
> loader?  Mine put's up a dialog box and complains about the
> kernel image.  I press ok, and about 60 seconds later it
> goes into graphical setup and it continues from there.

No complaints about the second stage loader. I elected to use GRUB (I
usually stick with LILO) on the Thinkpad, though that shouldn't mask any
error messages. None in the console or in dmesg.

> Where does it ask if you have two cds?

In the install? After I select "expert" mode. Never asks on boot, of
course.

> > Does ncftp rpm -i correctly?
>
> Yes.  Well 'rpm -U ncftp*rpm' works. ( Obviously I'm
> talking about the 2.4.8-5mdk kernel.  with the kernels
> i compile i have no net.)  The same command with
> ftp doesn't work.  the 'software installer' tool
> doesn't seem to do anything.

I'll look in the RPMS directories on the 2 CDs; I'm not sure if there are
any ftp* RPMS aside from ncftp*.

> > Try:
> >
> > depmod -a `uname -r` -F /boot/System.map-`uname -r`
> >
> > then
> >
> > modprobe af_packet
>
> The first line gives 5 #'d lines, and the second says module
> not found.

Hrm.

/lib/modules/2.4.8-5mdk/kernel/net/packet/af_packet.o.gz
exists on this 8.1 beta install.

Did you upgrade from an 8.0 install, or another distribution/version? I
wiped this laptop's HD before I attempted to install 8.1 beta.

> > > I did a make oldconfig to get the initial settings, then I
> > > went in to xconfig and made some adjustments.  None of the
> > > 2.4.9 kernels i tried worked.
> >
> > Haven't tried 2.4.9 yet with 8.1 beta.
>
> I have the same problem with all of the 2.4.x kernels.  In fact
> I had the same problem in mandrake 8.0.
>
> lo wouldn't come up, and neither would eth0.

Very strange indeed, they both load just fine here. I'll dig around later
tonight.

> > Seriously, have you checked mandrakeuser.org ?
>
> I'm looking at it now.

Specifically the Forums are a good place to check, and probably #mandrake
(?) on irc.openprojects.net.

> > It asked me. I think it has to do with your package selection in the
> > general menu.
>
> Where/when does it ask you?  Do you have the boot problem i
> mentioned earlier?

See above.

> > >  99.  How dare mdk make a distribution that doesn't have
> > >       emacs loaded on it?
> >
> > Vim, man. Mandrake was just helping ya out. =)
>
> I can tell that you are very smart, and very courtious for
> answering my questions.  I appreciate the help you have
> given me, and I hope you  will continue, but....  Emacs
> enlightment comes to people at different ages.

To each his own, though any editor that takes 20+ megs of HD space is
kinda pokey imnsho. =) Btw, I'm 'smrt,' not 'smart.' =)

---
Dan Chen                 crimsun at email.unc.edu
GPG key: www.cs.unc.edu/~chenda/pubkey.gpg.asc