[TriLUG] Instant Messaging

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Thu Aug 23 13:38:57 EDT 2001

Rob [robc at nc.rr.com] wrote:
> Hey, does anyone have any suggestions for the best multi-platform
> instant messaging client (i.e., AIM, yahoo, MSN, ICQ...)  I've been
> using gaim but it has been problematic lately, and the latest everybuddy
> beta seems downright unstable.  I'm looking for the best happy medium
> between connectivity and stability.  (running Slack at home,  RH7.1 at
> work.)

If you have the time and a static IP or dyndns-type account, you may
want to take a look at setting up a jabber server.  It is able to use
all of these simultaneously, and has numerous clients, a number of
which are pretty nice.

I can post my configurations if anyone wants to give it a shot...
Jabber's pretty darn cool.

--
Ben Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick (ranger at befunk.com)
http://defiance.dyndns.org/ / http://radio.scenespot.org/