[TriLUG] Thinkpad T21 removable floppy vs. removable cdrom

Heath Holcomb bluetea at nc.rr.com
Fri Aug 24 18:08:13 EDT 2001

Glen Ford wrote:
> I am running RedHat 7.1 kernel 2.4.3 on an IBM Thinkpad T21.
> The T21 has one drive bay for removable floppy drive or removable cdrom
> drive.
> The /dev tree does not have entry for both devices. It only has entry
> for device in bay at boot time.
>
> Question: Does anyone know howto change drives and get the system to
> recognize the new drive without having to reboot?
>
> What I have tired so far:
>         1. running Kudzu to probe for new hardware. Did not work.
>

> Thanks,
> /Glen

Sorry, I didn't see this message when I replied before. Just suspend
your machine (Fn + F4), swap the drives, and restore (Fn). Works on my
T21. I found a mailing list message on Google that mentioned some piece
of software that was supposed to let you do a real hot-swap, but the
author hadn't gotten it working, so I didn't follow up on it.

Hope this helps,

Heath

--
Heath Holcomb