[TriLUG] KDE 2.2 upgrade jitters

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Fri Aug 24 13:39:16 EDT 2001

On Tuesday 21 August 2001 11:50 pm, you wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 August 2001 06:55 pm, you wrote:
> > rpm -Uvh *.rpm is the best way to do it, but be careful with the
> > "official" RedHat RPMs, they were built for the 7.2 beta (Roswell), *not*
> > for 7.0 or 7.1.
>
> Thanks.  I didn't realize the difference between your versions and the
> official versions.
>
> > I've rebuilt everything myself for 7.1, plus all the dependencies I ran
> > into. You can grab 'em at http://www.opennms.org/~ben/kde2.2/
>
> I got them this evening.

Did you compile with optimizations for a specific CPU?  Everything
runs fine on my Ahtalon, but I'm getting the following error when
I try to start KDE 2.2 with startx on my Pentium.

/usr/bin/startkde: line 174:  1179 Illegal instruction     (core dumped)
LD_BIND_NOW=true kdeinit +kcminit
Could not register with DCOPServer. Aborting.

That looks pretty ugly to me. :)  Anybody have any ideas?  I verified the
installed package against the RPM database.  I also reinstalled the package.
Same error.

It's odd, since I used the same .rpm file that I used for the successful
install on the Ahtalon box.

Thanks,
---Tom