[TriLUG] Tip for reading CD / Re: Tips on IDE CD Writing under Debian

Timeboy timohart at gmx.at
Sat Aug 25 01:35:32 EDT 2001

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 09:45:57 -0400 (EDT), Andrew Perrin wrote:

> **I've posted some tips on how I've got CD writing working on my debian
> ** machine, in the hopes they may be vaguely useful to others. My specific
> ** desire was to be able to switch between audio cd playing (which, as far as
> ** I could tell required that I NOT be using ide-scsi) and cd-rw burning
> ** (which requires ide-scsi) without rebooting.

I not mean that your suggestion is bad. It can be usful for users they have
only a burner.

But: You never should use a burner for reading. I think most people who
owns a burner, also have a CD-R drive. And if you have such CD-R drive you
don't need to use it with ide-scsi and so you can it use for playing audio
CD's.

Really: A CD burner have a very heavy mechanics and more wear then a
CD-Rom drive. If you like to use your burner for some years, you should
olny burn with it.

Timo