[TriLUG] Ethernet DSL modem...

Karl Thiele karlthiele at nc.rr.com
Sun Aug 26 23:17:40 EDT 2001

Don Brady wrote:

> David Cowan wrote:
>
> >Being the impatient kind of guy that I am, does anyone
> >out there know where you can buy an ethernet DSL modem
> >in the Raleigh/Durham area? Some place I can walk in,
> >pay a living, breathing, human being, and walk out
> >with it?
> >
> I have an old Alcatel DSL modem but I am not sure it work if your
> account is set up for PPPoE,. which is the way BellSouth.net wants all
> new DSL accounts set up.
>
> Some people have cajoled them into providing an Ethernet DSL modem but
> it is not easy.

I have been the route of getting an ethernet DSL modem, which BTW is an
Alcatel Modem. It took me two weeks of talking, basically it came down to
well do you want my business I have a network and have a firewall for
personnel use and if you do not supply it a competitor will. I talked to no
less than 6 people, I actually started and ended with customer service. I
was getting this done on a 60 day free trial, back in January. They will
not wave the installation fee hefty some if you get charged. A Bellsouth
installation person must come to do the install and they are the only ones
who can give you the modem. The installation person has the power to way
the installation fee if they do not have to do any work. What do they do,
stand there and watch you install the modem then test it. If the test works
then they are basically done except they want to see your installation run.
That translates to connecting up a computer and getting a browser to work.
Keep it simple, do not hook up your router/switch/hub, use Windose, so they
understand what you are doing. Get the browser up hit something, then they
are out of your hair. The installation person, who visited me, was very
nice and patient. I did not have to pay installation fee. They also make
sure you can use the phone as well as the internet connection. They will
run a line just for your network connection, they did not charge me for
that (although I do believe I pay a charge on my monthly billing for
wiring).

Good luck what a pain. Of course in 50 days I packed it all up and sent it
back no charge. I use Road Runner. It is faster for me, Not many people out
where I live.

-karl