[TriLUG] Making copies of RH's CDs?

jeremyp at pobox.com jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Sep 4 18:07:37 EDT 2001

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Jon Carnes wrote:
> >
> > How about just including the Updates on a third CD and let them
> > mount it after install, then just rpm -U *.rpm (from the mounted
> > Update CD).  That keeps it real simple, and allows you to update
> > just the one CD as needed.
>
> That would be particularly nasty for the kernel updates.. :-)
> Besides, I am one of the project users, and I would like it
> to be a swell foop operation -- and burning extra CDs is not
> my best idea of a good time. :-)

It's too bad they don't add a mkinitrd and /sbin/lilo to the post-install
script for the kernel RPMs; if they did it could be totally
automatic.  Traumatic for those with custom kernels, but fine for a
situation such as this where a fresh install is assumed.

rpm -F would be a much better idea; it "freshens" the system by only
upgrading packages that already are installed.  So how about:
	ls *.rpm | grep -v "^kernel" | xargs rpm -Fvh

Regards,
Jeremy

--
Signature goes here.