[TriLUG] sysadmin data collection tool

Adrian Likins alikins at redhat.com
Tue Sep 4 21:50:11 EDT 2001

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 02:59:57PM -0400, James Manning wrote:
> [Donald Ball]
> > an idle thought occured to me recently. when your linux system is acting
> > strangely, wouldn't it be nice to have one command you can run to save a
> > good subset of the current system state information for later perusal and
> > comparison? is there such a beast? i'm thinking something like netstat +
> > free + ps + vmstat + etc. or maybe just a tarball of /proc.

	If your looking for periodic snapshots of info like that, then
you probabaly want to look at the sysstat package. In particular, the
sar and sadc utilities.

	For collecting a snapshot of general system setup, the
"sysreport" tool someone else mentioned is a pretty good start.

> I'm interested to see what others use :)

	I heart systat/sar.

Adrian