[TriLUG] Book recommndation for newbie

Steven Hilton mshiltonj at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 5 22:04:11 EDT 2001

I recently bought "Linux System Administration" by
Vicki Stanfield and Roderick W. Smith. $40.

Not distro specific, but more in depth on Linux than
any other book I've seen. Prolly not a beginner book.
I doesn't show you how to install Apache or how to use
vi, but it's got over 600 pages of good info (still
reading it, but looks good so far).

I looked long and hard for a Linux book that didn't
waste a chapter on vi or perl or apache. I've already
got those books.  This book had this least amount of
redundant information for me when compared to books I
already have.

--- knowlesc at telocity.com wrote:
> Well, the book that allowed me to get where I am
> today... :)  is O'Reilly's _Running_Linux_
> (originally I was using 1st edition, but the 3rd has
> been updated nicely.)  It's not very distro
> specific, but does have some notes on RPMS and the
> like.  I find it to be a really good reference book.
>
> HTH
>
> CJK
>
> On Wed, 05 September 2001, Justin Johnson wrote:
>

> > I am fairly new to the Unix / Linux OSs, and need
> to get a
> > recommendation on a good book to buy for
> reference. I am running RedHat
> > 7.1 on Intel, and would prefer something specific
> to that distro.  My
> > more immediate needs are setting up my linux box
> to print to an HP
> > Laserjet on a NT Server, and setting up  (I'm
> guessing here) Samba so
> > that I can share  / transfer files between Win and
> Lin machines on the
> > network. I went to Barnes and Nobles last night
> and saw the usual
> > "Mastering Red ...7.1", "Red...7.1 Unleashed",
> "Rehat7.1 Bible", etc,
> > but don't know which to buy.
> >
> > I know this is a subjective request, however I
> would rather have
> > somenones opinion than no info at all.
> >
> > Thanks

=====