[TriLUG] It's me again, Margaret....

Josh Adkins vafapimp at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 13:37:47 EDT 2001

Hey guys, I finally got my linux box to connect to the
internet with Road Runner cable.  I don't know if you
guys have noticed or not, but the whole cable modem
thing is starting to catch on.  in the past 3 months,
9 people in my apt building have signed up for Road
Runner, and it was seriously effecting my speeds.  I
first ordered the service on the premonitions that I
would be getting 1.2MB downstream and 450k up, but the
volume of users is so high now that they lowered the
cap to 384k down and 48k up.  This aggravated me to
know end.. untill that I recently found out that I was
qualified for ADSL.  So I ordered it.  I got the kit
in yesterday to find that they sent me a USB modem.
It's the Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem.  It works
fantasically on my windows box (my own personal
bandwith of 1.4MB down and 350k up!!!) but I can't
find the kernel module, or a PPPoA for linux.  So I'm
stuck with my winblows box as a router untill they
send me the Ethernet version of the modem.  If anybody
knows anyway to get around this, let me know.. it will
give me something to mess around with untill the other
modem gets here hehehe ;D

L8s,
Josh

P.S.  See you guys at the meeting on the 13th.
Hopefully I can get some tips on how to be as l337 as
you guys ;)