[TriLUG] A little off topic

Andrew Perrin aperrin at email.unc.edu
Fri Sep 7 11:38:16 EDT 2001

I have to agree that breaking up Microsoft seems a useless remedy --
particularly breaking it up into an applications business and an OS
business, since then we'd just have two companies with monopolies in
separate markets. No improvement. I'd prefer a remedy that makes the
Windows code open-source and assigns its maintenance to a neutral
standards body. Then MS and anyone else who wanted to could sell Windows,
meaning software implementations of the published standard.  And one could
have a Windows for Linux (G-d forbid) by writing software that implements
the standard under X.

I'm certainly no constitutional scholar, so I won't comment on the
constitutional basis of antitrust laws. But those laws do exist, they have
been enforced for many years, and they are generally considered to be
pro-free-market, since monopolies can easily be shown to inhibit the
proper functioning of a market. IMHO the best direct example is the case
against Kodak, which forced the company to stop bundling photo processing
with film, since Kodak's monopoly in film was giving it anticompetitive
advantage in the photo processing market. The argument in both cases is
not that it's bad *in general* to bundle one product with another, or that
it's illegal to do so *in general*, or that the bundling makes the product
worse for consumers. Rather, it's that the bundling allows monoply holders
to leverage their existing monopoly in one market to force competitors out
of a different market.

Just my 2c.

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin at unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
      269 Hamilton Hall, CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA