[TriLUG] Lost Partition Table!

James Oden joden at eworld.wox.org
Sun Sep 9 11:21:08 EDT 2001

> >i've never tried this under linux, and it's undoubtedly more
> >complicated since you're trying to locate ext2 and reiserfs
> >filesystems, as well as swap.  maybe i'll take some time and
> >see if i can re-create the program from memory to work with
> >linux.  it's really as simple as it sounds.
Wow, I could see how you could do that pretty easily.  I think the
easiest way to get the information you need concerning the begining of
the linux partitions is to take a sample machine and read 512 bytes off the
begining of each [hs]d[a-z][1-9]* device (i.e. /dev/hda1, /dev/sdb2, and so
one).  Then you can do a hex dump of this (or even and od -cv) and look
for signatures.  Probably the you want to try to positively identify
each type one at a time until you have the bulk of them.  It would be
good to make this utility also identify windows partitions as many
of us duel boot.  Good Luck...james