[TriLUG] wxWindows anyone?

Sinner from the Prairy sinner_prairy at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 11 08:06:22 EDT 2001

>On 10 Sep 2001 at 15:38 (-0400), Sinner from the Prairy wrote:

>| Wanting to do the impossible, I was thinking on using wxWindows widget
>| libraries (www.wxwindows.org) , develop on Linux  and send the code to be
>| compiled by the hiring company.

>compiled? eek.  could you use an interpreted language such as python?

No. Not really. Performance it is an issue here. as well an existing pool of
code.

>If so, I'd recommend that highly.  If there are issues with /code/
>being delivered to the end user, java is a fairly good solution.

Only binaries should be delivered.

>In any case, I'd try my damnedest to avoid compiling c/c++ code, but
>if I /had/ to, I would certainly use the cygwin environment for the
>windows product, so basically it would be a minimal porting of a real
>*nix application.

Can Cygwin deal with multimedia stuff? What libs does Cygwin use?

>FWIW, qt is pretty nice on windows, but there may still be licensing
>($$) issues WRT that port.

Pretty expensive for me. I would have to deal with the development costs, so
cost it **is** an issue.

>gtk is ported as well.

Alpha status. It is not good for commercial applications. Yet. I know. I
checked both (QT and GTK). QT looks good... but it is costy.

GTK is only good for final applications (not beta-stuff) on Linux only. This
makes me sad  :(

>Both of these
>have python and perl bindings which would go a _l_o_n_g_ way toward
>making the application portable across (platform) interpreters.

I don't think python nor perl being able to handle this kind of
applications. Aside from speed and available rock-stable libraries, I would
have to learn them in detail. I already have knowledge an experience in
C/C++

>hth.
>   brent

Thank you for the suggestions Bren,

Salut,
Sinner
---
September 11th, Catalonia's Memorial Day!