[TriLUG] What really scares me about this terrorist situation

Donald Ball balld at webslingerZ.com
Tue Sep 11 14:22:59 EDT 2001

(boy, this is off-topic for trilug - but many such discussions are going
on in so many off-topic places that i guess one more can't hurt)

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Rev. Christian J Hedemark wrote:

> I don't mean to scare anyone, or do anything distasteful or disrespectful
> here.  But just to share the gravity of this... there were reports on MSNBC
> of firefighters buried in rubble who had functional radios and were crying
> out for someone to get them out.  Their colleagues were helpless to get them
> out of the rubble of such a large building.  There are probably many
> survivors in the rubble right now, but who knows how long it will take to
> get to them?

what chills me here is the evil thinking that realized you could really
magnify the effects of the attack by hitting a second time to get all the
emergency people who responded immediately to the first strike. that's
disgusting.

> This is absolutely right.  I'm on a few homesteader mailing lists, where
> people who are more "self sufficient" tend to hang out.  These folks are
> pretty sensitive to the loss of civil liberties, and discussion now includes
> speculation of what this will mean long term as legislators scramble to
> "protect" us from this ever happening again.  I know it sounds insensitive
> but we do need to be braced to react to proposals for kneejerk legislation
> that will take away our rights in the name of national security.  This is
> *exactly* what the terrorists want to have happen, and if they see us losing
> our right than THEY HAVE WON.

insensitive, hell. they're right. as horrible as this tragedy is, there
are those who are _already_ spinning it for their own purposes. that's
even more disgusting. sssca + clipper iii? i don't doubt such things will
be proposed.

- donald