[TriLUG] What really scares me about this terrorist situation

prhodes at vdsinc.com prhodes at vdsinc.com
Tue Sep 11 15:24:11 EDT 2001

> The reaction you and Mr Rhodes have is normal. But I am guessing
> many of the families of the victims would give up some of their
> rights to have their family members back.

Yes, a great many of them probably would.  And to be honest, I'm not sure
exactly how I
would react to something like that happening to one of my family members.
I'm sure I would
be extremely angry, and would have at *least* a knee-jerk reaction, of
being willing to
sacrifice rights to have them back.

But I believe that, after my initial shock and anger ended, I would decide
that Freedom
is still more important.  I would imagine my loved one living in a 1984'ish
Orwellian "utopia" and
believe that they would prefer a shorter life, in a free world, than to
live in a world
with no freedom.

> I think that we must
> obtain a balance and if that means more government control to
> stop future large scale events like this, then I think it needs
> to be considered and not just toss out as a non-option.

Balance is good. I agree with that.  But, in this case, I think the scales
are ALREADY
tilted towards excessive govt. control.

> What was written over 100 years ago may not apply 100% today!

Maybe not.  I happen to believe that that little gem of wisdom from Ben
Franklin does
still apply today, however.

And that's about all I can say about that.

TTYL,

Phil