[TriLUG] X-config question

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Thu Sep 13 08:04:23 EDT 2001

Thanks, Daniel. I tried it but it didn't help...now I see
that it seems to be getting into a 'larger than the screen'
video mode even before I start X.  The Mandrake splash screen
that occurs during boot seems to be affected...I boot
to a console prompt (rather than X) and the problem exists
at that point.  Maybe I've got the wrong video driver?

Thanks,
Chris

"Daniel T. Chen" wrote:
> In your XF86Config-4, make sure the "largest" resolution is listed first,
> as such:
>
> Subsection "Display"
>         Depth       24
>         Modes       "1600x1200" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>         ViewPort    0 0
> EndSubsection
>
> This is in Section "Screen".
>
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, Chris Merrill wrote:
> > I've just obtained a new Thinkpad T23 and installed Mandrake
> > 8.  Somewhere in the setup process...I think I told the
> > XF86 setup that the resolution is higher than the LCD can
> > provide...but the video chipset can do it (for an external
> > monitor).  The result is a virtual screen that is bigger
> > than the display.  Needless to say, I'm having a hard time
> > even reading the config files (try working at the command
> > line when you can't see the bottom 10 lines).

Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com