[TriLUG] X-config question

Sinner from the Prairy sinner_prairy at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 13 09:28:46 EDT 2001

>From: Chris Merrill <cmerrill at nc.rr.com>

>I've just obtained a new Thinkpad T23 and installed Mandrake
>8.  Somewhere in the setup process...I think I told the
>XF86 setup that the resolution is higher than the LCD can
>provide...but the video chipset can do it (for an external
>monitor).  The result is a virtual screen that is bigger
>than the display.  Needless to say, I'm having a hard time
>even reading the config files (try working at the command
>line when you can't see the bottom 10 lines).

Try entering in single mode. "linux single" is the way to enter from LiLo

>I configured Mandrake to start in console (not X) mode, but
>it seems to be initalizing the graphics driver to a higher
>resolution (I can't see all of the Mandrake splash screen)
>anyway.

Try telinit'ing to the single-user mode

>I see lots of mode listings in /etc/X11/XF86Config, but
>can't seem to find where the mode is actually selected.

>Help!

Disable the framebuffer mode in your laptop (VGA=788 in your /etc/lilo.conf
) and rerun Xdrake or whatever is called in your computer.

Or, if you enter in the X system, do Ctrl+Alt+"minus sign" to change
resolutions of your screen.

Hope this helps.

Salut,
Sinner