[TriLUG] VMWare pricing

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Thu Sep 13 23:35:53 EDT 2001

I thought that Kevin or someone said at the meeting last night that VMWare
costs about $150 for the full version, and less than $100 for the single VM
(express) version.

While the Express version is $50 (only runs Win95/98 in the VM), the full
workstation edition is $300.  I thought that VMWare used to offer a "for
personal use" version of the software for a lower price, but I can't find it
anymore.

These days, I could probably put together a decent machine to run Windows for
$300.  With hardware prices still falling, it becomes increasingly difficult
to justify software purchases.

Am I just misremembering last night's discussion, or is it time for me to
check out Wine again? :)

---Tom