[TriLUG] VMware clarifications

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Fri Sep 14 11:51:30 EDT 2001

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 08:18:08AM -0400, Rev. Christian J Hedemark spoke thusly:
> I was pretty excited after last night's demo to get my hands on VMware.
> There were some disappointing clarifications to last night's talk, from the
> horses mouth (http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/exp_faqs.html)
*snip*
> In other words, the express version can only do Win95/98.  To run NT you
> need the much more expensive "Workstation" version (about $250).

The pricin jhas changed then. I paid $99 for my VMWare 2.0 Workstation
Licence, and can pre-order an upgarde to 3.0 for about the same.

> The express version is advertised at ~$50 and for the full featureset we saw
> last night I'd be willing to buy it at that price.  Maybe even $100 or $150.
> For ~$250 it's a little much.  For another $50 I could buy another *real*
> machine to run another OS on.

I think I can ask if we cna get a group discount or something - that's
as Chair of the LUG. Or if you're already doing the legwork, tell me
who to talk to if it's even available.

let me say this for anyone who can find/help get us special deals : IF
you can do it, do it - but final aproval will ahve to be through
myself and JonC, to make sure it's all legal and whatnot.

in other words, you can negotiate, but Jon and/or I have to approve
anythign before it can become final, in order to make sure we don't
jeprodise out 501(c)(3) status.

Cool?

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  New email : alchemist at darkcanvas.com  --
--  http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist  --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
  -- Berkley Breathed, 2001