[TriLUG] "congress mulls stiff crypto laws"

rpjday rpjday at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 15 05:32:27 EDT 2001

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Chris Merrill wrote:

> p.s.  Does this have anything to do with Linux?  I guess
>       it _is_ very important to open source development...

being a member of the open source community pretty much demands that
you're going to have to be political on occasion, regarding things like
antitrust legislation, the DMCA and SSSCA legislation, restrictions on
crypto and so on.

it's all part and parcel of the same package these days, i'm afraid.
if you're a fan of open source and its underlying principles, you
better be prepared to speak up in its defense when the time comes.

rday

--
Robert P. J. Day
Eno River Technologies, Durham NC

Microsoft:  Committed to putting the "backward" into "backward compatibility."