[TriLUG] Battleing new IIS worm - appreciate ANY help!

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Sep 18 14:11:36 EDT 2001

We run both apache and IIS, and last week I talked the web team into moving
over to Apache - alas, that has not occurred yet.

We *think* we have it under control.  A scan of the affected systems,
looking for any file changed or added as of this morning revealed much.  We
did the following (and seem to have it under control):
 - renamed Admin.dll on the C: drive to admin_dll.old
 - deleted all exe created this morning on drive C:
    mmc.exe would not let us delete it, so we booted to a dos disk and zap
it.
 - edited the etc/services file replacing "69/tftp" with "0/tftp"
   (it seems to use tftp to try and spread).

The nasty little bugger even downloaded its own java, etc...  Man, anyone
talented enough to put this together, should be automating software installs
for companies like Akaimi (or sumptin!).

And yes, I did give a few digs to our IIS supporters...

Jon