[TriLUG] Battleing new IIS worm - appreciate ANY help!

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Sep 18 14:33:13 EDT 2001

This is a *nasty one*...

I am current on all my patches!  This bug is a new one though, and must use
a new exploit.  Fortunately, you can lock down Win200 enough that this
particular worm can't get access to the system directories (at least not
yet!).  Our only problems have been with installs of IIS on NT.

The bug is well written.  It doesn't show itself until there is traffic on
the site, so you can think you've cleaned it off but as soon as you get a
few hits, it lights up and takes over again!  It took us three tries to nuke
it.  I think I got it clean on the second try, but re-infection was very
fast.  The "tftp" fix seems to have stalled that for now.

As an aside, the marketing folks are finally publishing to the new webserver
I built for them two weeks ago.  An apache server, running on Linux...

Jon