[TriLUG] RH 6.2 question

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Tue Sep 18 12:00:44 EDT 2001

On Tuesday 18 September 2001 09:59 pm, you wrote:

> I have a problem with ppp under rh 6.2.  before anyone asks, this is on a
> Pentium 100MHz 40MB RAM PC.  It is on a Toshiba 110CS.  Everything works
> EXCEPT PPP.  I do have a NIC but it doesn't work.  I just cannot dial out
> using a PCMCIA modem.

Can you access the modem at all?  Can you dial out with minicom?  Can you
cat "ATZ" to the device file (as root)?  Are you sure that it's ppp?

> Any one seen this?  I've check RH site, but they don't have a fix for PPP.
> I see there is a BIND update, but would that fix it?

No.  The BIND update won't help, but it's a major security hole if you've
left BIND up and running.  You should apply that patch.  I was hit by the
Ramen worm over a dial up connection, so don't pretend (like I did) that you
don't have to worry about security when you have a dial up account.

Hackers looooooooove noodles.  :-P

---Tom