[TriLUG] awesome article

Sinner from the Prairy sinner_prairy at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 21 13:50:48 EDT 2001

> >Oh yeah.  But it is hurting his credibility, I think, when he continually
> >refers to "Linux Red Hat 7.1".  Speak like Yoda he does, hmmm?

Actualy, the gut is Thai. That is, he is from Thailand. So his English
broken maybe it is, like mine... hmmm?

>I think it helps it.  He's not experienced and yet he's able to get
>everything up/running/over.  Thats the kind of testimonial you need for
>some
>places.

Absolutely.

> >Web browser - Konqueror, included with KDE, is quite a capable browser.
> >Very fast & lightweight.  He advocated downloading Opera which I have no
> >experience with.  Before downloading, try what is already included.  His
> >later comments on Konqueror don't match with my own experience with later
> >versions of the app (early versions were pretty buggy though).

The one with RedHat 7.1 is not buggy. But, without pluggins (you need
Netscape ones, so it is not obvious at all for a newcomer), Java support
(again, you need the JRE and do some magick with ln -s , also a non obvious
thingy), Flash refuses to work on (earlier) Konqueror , mostly becase crappy
webdevelopers have crapy browser detection routines.

All this make for a bad experience with Konqueror.

Note: I use Konqueror as my primary browser. I like it, I like its fonts,
the divided screens.... That's how I know what is not so good about
Konqueror.

>I'm into mozilla.  I don't like the popup windows so I turn them off.
>power
>to the lizard man.

I think that this appeared first on Konqueror...

> >E-mail client - Functionally, Netscape Communicator will be the easiest
>for
> >an Outlook Express user to move to.  But there are significant stability
> >issues.

>I wish I could find a good one that the spell check actually @#$@! worked
>on.

No luck with Kmail ? I thought it worked.

> >Firewall - He describes the included firewall as "capable".  IMHO it is
> >superior to a lot of the commercial add-on firewalls for Windows.

>it ain easy to setup if you just started though.  My wife's computer hasn't
>yet been infected by anything (she's on W2k) so thats nuff said for me.
>(we
>have a wireless net all running through an old P200 firewall box with ip
>fwd/masq)

Well, selecting the security level plus using Bastille firewall (GUI version
available) makes it easier and safer than in Windows.

Or install Mandrake and its "Control Center" and firewall yourself in 5
clicks. Great for desktop.

>Get used to it..  Sun/HP are dumping CDE in favor of gnome.  Next, I don't
>care for the level of windows emulation in KDE's interface...  Gnome has a
>much sounder/nicer architecture and the corba backending means that in the
>future you'll have a much nicer competitor to ole 2.

Whatever. I still like KDE the better. It's better internationalized in my
language (Catalan) than Gnome.

>Next, everyone I know who uses KDE bitches about how unstable java is on
>linux for running gui stuff.  I run Netbeans, JBuilder (though not really
>any more), poseidon uml, and many other apps with NOO problems.  KDE+java
>guis = bad news.

Really? Mmmmmm I will have to try it again.

> >"Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for a little
> >order,
> >will lose both and deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin

>complete agreement on that!

A-men

>-Andy

Salut,