Kmail was Re: [TriLUG] awesome article

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at nc.rr.com
Sat Sep 22 13:58:38 EDT 2001

>>Oh yeah.  But it is hurting his credibility, I think, when he continually
>>refers to "Linux Red Hat 7.1".  Speak like Yoda he does, hmmm?
>
> Actualy, the gut is Thai. That is, he is from Thailand. So his English broken maybe it is, like mine... hmmm?

do note the comment was not made by me.

> The one with RedHat 7.1 is not buggy. But, without pluggins (you need Netscape ones, so it is not obvious at all for a newcomer), Java support (again, you need the JRE and do some magick with ln -s , also a non obvious thingy), Flash refuses to work on (earlier) Konqueror , mostly becase crappy webdevelopers have crapy browser detection routines.
>
> All this make for a bad experience with Konqueror.
>
> Note: I use Konqueror as my primary browser. I like it, I like its fonts, the divided screens.... That's how I know what is not so good about Konqueror.

This is kind of one of those things for me where I'm like "if it doesn't
work 99% of the time, I still don't care whose fault it is".

> I'm into mozilla.  I don't like the popup windows so I turn them off.  power
> to the lizard man.
>
> I think that this appeared first on Konqueror...

yes but mozilla displays all the sites I go to.  (okay .94 actually
broke e-mailanywhere.com which roadrunenr uses for webmail...grrrr)

>>E-mail client - Functionally, Netscape Communicator will be the easiest for
>>an Outlook Express user to move to.  But there are significant stability
>>issues.
>
> I wish I could find a good one that the spell check actually @#$@! worked
> on.
>
> No luck with Kmail ? I thought it worked.

Kmail was a #@#$! to install because it made me install all this kde
crap.  Then it refused to receive mail and just returns an error.  (yes
I have the pop server settings correct!)  I tried it first with the
redhat 7.1 distro version then with all the latest.  1.5 hours is about
tripple the time I had alotted.  And worst of all...it couldn't connect
with ispell.. . so kmail = :-( .

> Well, selecting the security level plus using Bastille firewall (GUI version available) makes it easier and safer than in Windows.
>
> Or install Mandrake and its "Control Center" and firewall yourself in 5 clicks. Great for desktop.
>

> Get used to it..  Sun/HP are dumping CDE in favor of gnome.  Next, I don't
> care for the level of windows emulation in KDE's interface...  Gnome has a
> much sounder/nicer architecture and the corba backending means that in the
> future you'll have a much nicer competitor to ole 2.
>
> Whatever. I still like KDE the better. It's better internationalized in my language (Catalan) than Gnome.

hey to each their own.  Just saying for the "switch between
linux/solaris" reason for using kde -- they're going to be in for a rude
awakening.  Since I don't know any Catalan, the internationalizaiton
isn't an issue for me. ;-)

> Next, everyone I know who uses KDE bitches about how unstable java is on
> linux for running gui stuff.  I run Netbeans, JBuilder (though not really
> any more), poseidon uml, and many other apps with NOO problems.  KDE+java
> guis = bad news.
>
> Really? Mmmmmm I will have to try it again.

You can read chris and my banter.  Apparently he did solve his problems.
  Course if you read he had to go to a milestone release of something or
other.

I have another friend on kde who tried switching to gnome but got stuck
probably somewhere around the xclient thing (that script whatever its
called that chooses kde or gnome or whatever for you), it failed to
upgrade that I guess.  But his kde screws up java guis too..  Have to
tell him he needs a beta I guess.  Glad I've got gnome. ;-)

>>"Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for a little
>>order,
>>will lose both and deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin
>
> complete agreement on that!
>
> A-men

Its scary the crap people are saying these days.  What's worse is the
backlash against people who happen to be islamic or look islamic to
ignorant people.  Too bad the idiots shall inherit the earth.

-Andy