[TriLUG] Evaluation Licenses for Win4Lin (& lack thereof)

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 24 09:21:14 EDT 2001

Hi Folks,

I mentioned a couple of meetings ago - well, at least to Kevin - that I
would try to track down some evaluation license codes for Win4Lin, since
I know a few of the people who are still on the payroll.

What I heard back wasn't so good. Their eval releases have a built in
expiration date that stops the product, and the expiration date of their
last eval release has already lapsed.  This built in date overrides the
evaluation period, unforunately.

The person who put these eval versions together was one of the people
who they had to lay off, so there are no plans to release any more eval
versions for now.  They're too understaffed.

The developer who responded told me that they're planning to try to
balance this with a money back satisfaction guarantee. I don't know
whether this has been officially announced or was only being considered.
  When I scanned their web site last week I didn't see it mentioned.

Well, I tried.

Thanks,

Scott Chilcote / scottchilcote at earthlink.net