[TriLUG] Windows NT to 2000 or Linux?

Rick Gatewood gatewood at nc.rr.com
Wed Sep 26 17:47:42 EDT 2001

I am a network administrator at a local goverment agency that has a single NT
Domain with 250 w95 and w98 clients. all but a few clients and all the
servers are three years old. We have been considering upgrading to 2000 but
are finding the cost of upgrading all software and hardware plus continuing
license fees to be scary. Microsoft is asking all current users to upgrade
within the next six months or lose upgrade priveleges forever. As an
alternative, we have been considering going all linux or using linux with
existing NT licenses. One sticking point is that our main database vendor
(specialized billing program) only wants to support their product on NT or
2000 terminal server. I know that there is a citrix client out there for
linux and thought that it might be a solution. Anybody have any experience
with the Citrix Linux client and WTS setups? Any other ideas for using linux
in this situation?

Thanks