[TriLUG] earthlink to offer cable option

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Thu Sep 27 16:19:46 EDT 2001

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 03:59:10PM -0400, Jon Carnes spoke thusly:
> To bad we don't have a couple of million dollars to startup up our own Cable
> company for those areas.  With growth of this area, it won't be too long
> till the population density makes it profitable.  Of course, until that
> time, we would be a monopoly in the area, and charge whatever the heck we
> wanted for the fat pipe!

Actually, I think it'd only take about $20K to start things up - that
includes office space, systems, the first few months T1 and
installation charges. Then it's all about getting the dedicated
circuts out of the phone company and putting in the right modems.

The PBS article by Cringley
(http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20010823.html) and the Linux
Journal Article on building a Geek Co-op
(http://www2.linuxjournal.com/articles/business/0041.html) provide
some nice pointers.

And since the only games in town out here are Sprint or EMJI (who *DO*
cahrge what the market will handle - $80/month for 100hrs 64K ISDN at
last check), a willing investor could probably rake it in if he were
priced competitively.

Any takers? *grin*

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  New email : alchemist at darkcanvas.com  --
--  http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist  --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
  -- Berkley Breathed, 2001