[TriLUG] earthlink to offer cable option

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Thu Sep 27 19:21:47 EDT 2001

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 04:53:53PM -0400, Jon Carnes spoke thusly:
> I'll pledge $10k out of the equity of my home.

Sweet. That's half *grin*

> To heck with office space.  Grow it out of a local home (like yours).  Use
> the money to expand your home to handle the extra space needed.  Be sure
> that the Corp "rents" the space from the local home owner, so that the
> home/office is not one of businesses assets.

Actually, there's a reason for office space - (1) it's *CHEAP* out
here, (2) it's pelntiful out here, and (3) renee won't let me run an
ISP out of the house.

if it's done right, though, you still run it from home - the office
space is for meetings (we gotta clean the house if my MOM comes to
visit. Can you imagine the craziness if I'm trying to impress a
potential client/investor?) and to make indemnity easier (i.e. If the
house burns down because fo faulty wiring in the ISP space, homeowners
probably isn't going to cover it, and the electrician has an out. In
an office, however, you have more leeway. Plus you're not renting from
yourself, which makes for interesting taxes.)

> I assume the zoning of your area is rather lax.  Once things get going, get
> the local LEC to put a small POP in the house/business and then connections
> become much easier and cost-efficient.

+1

> But still $20k is way too low an estimate.

Depends. That's the intial, for space (say, $5k), three months of
bandwidth (about 8k), and used equiptment (the remiaining $7k). If you
want new, I'd push that to $30k. I've bene giving this a *LOT* of
thought *grin*.

Now you need customers. Depending on the prioce break, they pay $50 a
month, and buy or rent the equiptment. Purchase as needed, because
keeping stock is an expense for stock you may or may not see a return
on.

Oh yeah, i've been thinking about it *grin* I'm still working out how
it could be a real co-op situation. Maybe offer free/cheap extras for
members. I dunno...

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  New email : alchemist at darkcanvas.com  --
--  http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist  --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
  -- Berkley Breathed, 2001