[TriLUG] Off Topic: Enterprise...

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 27 20:01:20 EDT 2001

Jon Carnes wrote:

<snippage>
> Overall, I was very surprised by the premire.  All of the series seem to
> start poorly and then grow.  This one started out very good (well a little
> rough, but I thought ScottB really pulled it off).  Hopefully it will only
> get better.

What concerns me is that the last three ST series have had to struggle
with the resolve-everything-in-one-hour-so-we-can-syndicate-the-reruns
format.  The temptation to revisit old plots has been obvious, and you
can use a stopwatch to time the plot developments after a while.  There
is the occasional creative episode that departs from the format, but I'm
guessing they save the few of these they make for sweeps weeks.

Babylon 5 was breathtakingly different with its storyline "arcs"; each
episode had threads that resolved, but there was a background story that
unfolded over a series of weeks and months.  Central characters left the
show and new ones entered, and it actually made things more engaging.

I don't expect "Enterprise" to adopt this concept, but they do have some
advantages that the later shows lacked.  They can introduce species,
planets, inventions, and even some individuals that have interesting
tie-ins to future events we've seen in the other shows.  They can use
these devices to build larger stories from their early beginnings.

There's a lot of opportunity for them to do some creative plots that
build into deeper stories than they've done so far.  What I'd hate is
for them to fall back on the same plots and formats that have made
things become formulaic.  I'll stop now, before I start singing "Lets do
the time warp again!"  ;-)

ObLinux: I just found out that vim has built in "grep", with added
goodies.  Cool!

Scott Chilcote / scottchilcote at earthlink.net