[TriLUG] Off Topic: Enterprise...

Donald Ball balld at webslingerZ.com
Thu Sep 27 23:51:07 EDT 2001

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Scott Chilcote wrote:

> Babylon 5 was breathtakingly different with its storyline "arcs"; each
> episode had threads that resolved, but there was a background story that
> unfolded over a series of weeks and months.  Central characters left the
> show and new ones entered, and it actually made things more engaging.

which more than made up for some (really) bad actors, occasionally stilted
dialogue, and low budget special effects. honestly! it's amazing what you
can do with an interesting, somewhat complex story, a few good lead
actors, a great supporting cast, and, what, 100 hours in which to let
things develop. the show, up until the 5th season anyway, knocked the
socks off any other scifi series to date.

> I don't expect "Enterprise" to adopt this concept, but they do have some
> advantages that the later shows lacked.  They can introduce species,
> planets, inventions, and even some individuals that have interesting
> tie-ins to future events we've seen in the other shows.  They can use
> these devices to build larger stories from their early beginnings.

oh, but they're either totally gonna be constrained by having to ensure
that they don't introduce inconsistencies with later events, or they're
gonna blow it (if they haven't already) and piss off their target
audience. star trek is _tired_, they should give it a rest.

- donald