[TriLUG] IM Servers & Sci-Fi Shows

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Fri Sep 28 01:29:50 EDT 2001

Jon Carnes wrote:

> Opps, didn't mean to tread on anyone's toes...

No toes tread on here.  I was just curious. :-)

>  We use a raft of different
> IM's.  AIM does use 5190.  There are more than a couple used in-house
> though that are purely web-based and just use port 80...  The
> inter-office IM traffic is high enough that I'm seriously
> contemplating bringing up our own internal server (to save our T3 for
> other traffic).

Wow.  That's a lot of IM traffic.  The web based ones, I assume,
are using some sort of cgi program or java servlet on the web
server to do the IM.  Are they on an internal or external server?
(I assume an internal one wouldn't be going over your T3. :-)

> There are some problems with the idea, such as folks would still use
> external IM's unless our could in some way act as a relay...

Well, I've never set one up before, but from what I've heard,
a Jabber server may be what you want.  Someone please correct
me if I'm wrong, but won't a Jabber server connect with other
IM servers like AIM.  Also, can't it be used on its own?

I've actually been thinking of experimenting with setting one
up, but I have absolutely no idea what I would do with it.
My wife and I use AIM to keep in contact during the day,
and most of my other friends and family use it also.  My
wife has actually used it at work to collaborate with coworkers
in England.  Since AOL has gone to all the trouble to set
up their servers for general use, I haven't figured out yet
why I would need a server of my own (except for the fact
that it would be way cool).  For a company, however, I could
definitely see why they might set one up.  Anyone have any
ideas on setting up a Jabber server?  What kind of things
can you do with one?

Going off on another one of the recent threads, I didn't
see much of the Enterprise premiere, but what I did see
of it I wasn't too impressed, which is too bad, because
I really like Scott Bakula.  People have mentioned how they
liked Babylon 5 because of it's sweeping arcs, but I haven't
seen anyone mention the show Farscape.  Farscape is on the
Sci-Fi Channel (every night, right now) and is sort of between
Babylon 5 and ST in its arc.  It definitely has an arc, but
a lot of the shows can stand on their own.  It's a collaboration
between the Jim Henson Creature Shop and a studio in Australia.
One of the best things I like about it is it's not afraid to
make fun of itself.  Recently, they did an episode where
for part of the show they made it animated in the style of
Road Runner.  I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.
(I also recommend the episode entitled "Crackers Don't Matter".)
So, anyway, Farscape is my vote for the best Sci-fi currently
on television.

Oh, I almost forgot, the reason I didn't see all of Enterprise
was that the season premiere of Junkyard Wars was at 9pm. :-D
I can tell you right now, if it comes down to a choice between
Enterprise and Junkyard Wars, there is no contest.  Junkyard
Wars is simply the best trash on television. <ducks!> (Sorry,
I couldn't resist. :-D )

Tanner--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/
  Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for a little
  order, will lose both and deserve neither.  --  Benjamin Franklin

  History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
  of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to
  endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989