[TriLUG] Web Usage Tracking...

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Sep 28 09:15:11 EDT 2001

On Friday 28 September 2001 06:24, Christopher Knowles wrote:
> OK, I thought that was what was happening.  While analyzing the packet
> logs is possible, it's pretty hard to do right.
>
> Doing an hourly netstat doesn't show you everything... or are you mainly
> interested in people being web whores?  I think I've got the masq tables
> set to 15 minutes, so a quarter hourly would show me everything... yikes.

No, no, no.  I run a small script and a cronjob. The cron job kicks off the
script on the hour.  <That script runs for an hour collecting data.>  The
same cron job then kills all processes running that script *except* for the
latest process - the one that just kicked off.

At the end of the day, I have 24 log files, each with one hours worth of
data.  There is some overlap in the data, but its fractional compared with
the vast quantities in each file - and if I wanted to be a stickler, I
could easily write a script to compare consecutive log files and hack off
the few duplicate entries from the end of each file that exist.

Take care - Jon