[TriLUG] OT: TiVo

Ken Mink ken.mink at porivo.com
Fri Sep 28 18:46:42 EDT 2001

On Fri, 2001-09-28 at 14:56, Rev. Christian J Hedemark wrote:
> Mike Johnson says:
> > See, if you had a TiVo, this wouldn't be a problem. ;)
>
> Never.  They charge for free TV listings.  They report back to the
> mothership what you've been watching.  No no no.  Too many privacy concerns.
> Too much in the way of frivolous subscriptions.  By all rights this thing
> should come out of the box, plug in, and the only charge to me should be the
> up front cost of what is in the box.  I  should have an ethernet option,
> too.  This thing should never call home and report what I've been watching.
> It should never charge me for downloading TV listings.  All upgrades should
> be done with my permission, at a time of my choosing.   Some of their
> "upgrades" have removed features in the past.  I shouldn't have to piggyback
> on a phone line with this.
>
> This is why I don't own a satellite dish or a TiVo.
>
> Now I would gladly buy a TiVo like device if it didn't have these
> restrictions.
>
> I would very gladly buy one if it used more open standards so I could burn
> VCD's or even DVD's of content captured.  Or I could watch TV content from
> any PC in my home.  You get the picture.  But none of this is a requirement.
> I'd like the current functionality without the phone home stuff, and without
> the subscription fees.

I have a Radeon All-in-Wonder. It provides all the TiVo functionality,
TV listings, time shifting, scheduled recordings, etc and no fees or
phoning home. Yes, Winblows is required for their nifty software.
However, other than the tv listings and time shifting, the rest can be
had under Linux. I recently reinstalled up to RH7.1. I haven't gotten
xawtv working again ( lack of effort ). Pretty cool watching TV in one
window and bashing in another. Also, I haven't checked the prices
recently, but I think Radeon AiW is cheaper than TiVo.

Ken