[TriLUG] IM Servers & Sci-Fi Shows

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Fri Sep 28 23:20:04 EDT 2001

Tanner Lovelace [lovelace at wayfarer.org] wrote:
> I've actually been thinking of experimenting with setting one
> up, but I have absolutely no idea what I would do with it.
> My wife and I use AIM to keep in contact during the day,
> and most of my other friends and family use it also.  My
> wife has actually used it at work to collaborate with coworkers
> in England.  Since AOL has gone to all the trouble to set
> up their servers for general use, I haven't figured out yet
> why I would need a server of my own (except for the fact
> that it would be way cool).  For a company, however, I could
> definitely see why they might set one up.  Anyone have any
> ideas on setting up a Jabber server?  What kind of things
> can you do with one?

This reminds me, I had meant to send on my jabber configuration
to the list...  It's only 4k so I hope it's OK to attach...

=)

Jabberd itself is quite stable and nice; some of the transports
are a bit more unstable, but none to the point of being unusable.
The ones that come down can be restarted without any issues.
It seems like it will auto-relog-in if one of the transports
drops.  I would really suggest the CVS versions of them over
what's been released, from what I'm seeing, but the release
version (1.4.1 right now I think) of jabberd.

The ICQ transport is rock solid; AIM seems to go down once
every couple of weeks, but it seems to be talking to bad
clients or something that does it.  I'm seeing it go down mostly
when specific people message someone on our server.  I've had
very few problems with the MSN transport as well... the real
bad one is yahoo, it seems to only work once.  By the next time
I log in, it's down.

This set of configs is set up with every transport as a separate
process, using the server-to-server stuff for IPC to the "main"
jabberd.

--
Ben Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick (ranger at befunk.com)
http://defiance.dyndns.org/ / http://radio.scenespot.org/