[TriLUG] IBM Thinkpad T23 w/ Linux?

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Sat Sep 29 20:30:34 EDT 2001

Tom Bryan wrote:
> My company is thinking of buying an IBM T23 to use for
> showing demos of our product running on Red Hat 7.1.
> We're looking at the T23 because it is one of the few
> laptops on the market that support 1 GB of RAM for the
> Oracle database backend that the app requires.

I recently acquired a T23...for the same reason (1G RAM
capacity).  I bought it with 128M and added 512M - don't
need the 1G quite yet...

> Has anyone had any experience with running Linux (specifically,
> Red Hat) on this model, especially with the 1 GB RAM
> configuration?

I am running Mandrake 8.0 on it with no major problems.
I briefly tried RH 7.1 (for reasons that are irrelevant
to this discussion) and the only problem I saw was that
the installer did not automagically select the correct
video driver (which is why I prefer M-linux...the
installer seems to recognize more hardware).  Since
M-linux is based on RH, I am quite confident that you
can get RH running on it with few problems.  The M8
installer did not select an audio driver...I haven't
investigated this problem, yet (low on the priority
list).

Feel free to contact me for more details, drivers, etc.
if you go down the T23 road!

Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com