[TriLUG] [OT] W3C and the Promotion of Fee-based Standards for the Web

prhodes at vdsinc.com prhodes at vdsinc.com
Mon Oct 1 17:09:36 EDT 2001

> Folks... if you have not seen this there are only a few hours left to
> make your voice heard. Please go and read this... our internet is in
> danger from corporate interest again!

> http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-09-30-001-20-NW-CY

FWIW, I sent in a comment to W3C, yesterday.  Just a few minutes ago, I
received a phone call
from a gentleman from the Washington Post, who got my name & number off my
comment. He said he
was doing a story on this issue, and wanted some comments and feedback.

I really hadn't done much research on this thing, so I don't know if I told
him anything meaingful or not.
But, from the tone of what he was saying, I get the idea his story might
present the idea that they tried to keep
this thing secret, and "back-door" it in.  He did ask me if I would be in
favor of having W3C reopen the comments
period.  I replied most emphatically, "YES."

Don't know if any of what I said will go in his story or not, or even when
the story will run.  But, if you
read the Washington Post, keep your eyes open.

TTYL,

Phillip Rhodes
Application Designer
Voice Data Solutions
919-571-4300 x225
prhodes at vdsinc.com

Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for a little order,
will lose both and deserve neither. - Benjamin Franklin

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it.
Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can
exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their
revolutionary right to overthrow it.  - Abraham Lincoln

No citizen shall be denied the right to bear arms, if as a last resort, to
protect themselves from tyranny in Government. - Thomas Jefferson