[TriLUG] stollen computer

Fred Stutzman stutzman at email.unc.edu
Wed Oct 3 13:46:21 EDT 2001

Agreed.

I'm guessing this is a linux machine, hence Trilug list.  However FTP, VNC
and Apache can run on Wintel boxes.  If you'd like to take matters into
your own hands, there is a good amount of surveillance you can do,
presuming you have root access to the box.  I dont know how much good this
will do, because I'm assuming the guy using your box is some joe who
bought it off the back of a truck.  But with the correct tools installed
on your machine, you'll be able to monitor all their insecure
communication and possibly use this as evidence of some sort.  Good luck,
keep posted.

Fred