[TriLUG] stollen computer

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Wed Oct 3 15:01:37 EDT 2001

Fred Stutzman said:
> I'm guessing this is a linux machine, hence Trilug list.

I've been assuming it is Windows.  I thought that the Linux security
provided some assurances that somebody accessing the box
cannot simply login.

Admittedly, with physical access to the computer, a determined
hacker _will_ get in...but why bother?  It seems unlikely that somebody
who wanted in that bad (and had the talent to accomplish it) would not
then be using the machine as if it was theirs...and would notice
something like a dynamic DNS daemon?

In fact...in this case, it's probably better if it is windows...otherwise
they would have formatted the drive and installed windows and
you'd have no way to trace it!

Chris