[TriLUG] Fw: WHERE ARE YOU?

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 5 01:06:12 EDT 2001

Well, to be precise--"I" did not say this, I am merely quoting a source
which all of you can read. "I" merely thought it interesting, not because of
the number of  servers alleged to be either MS or Linux, but because of what
the so-called "experts" are recommending, namely that Microsoft software
should be abandoned and Linux should be used for server applications. In
other words, don't get exercised over the details (we all know that the
actual number of MS vs Linux servers is imprecise), but cheer the support
that Linux is receiving in the server marketplace from a business research
group which apparently has a lot of influence in the business community.
Again this report was not WRITTEN by me. A friend of mine forwarded it to me
and I, thinking it would be interesting to this community, thought all of
you would be interested in reading it. --But if you want to argue about it,
instead of studying it, you miss the whole point. In short, (in case you
didn't understand it!) the point is that Microsoft is losing the server
market to Linux, whether it has already lost it (due to imprecise counting
of Linux servers) is another question altogether.
I just suggest you all read the entire report and make your own judgements.
Incidentally, the guy who sent this to me passionately despises Microsoft
software (almost as much as I do!!).