[TriLUG] idea for a documentation project

rpjday rpjday at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 7 04:40:02 EDT 2001

  given how often some of my students ask me how to do something
in linux that they can do in windows, i've been thinking of writing
some kind of reference for all of the linux tools that allow one
to interoperate with windows.

  i don't mean just samba, or wine/win4lin/vmware, but *everything*
somebody might need to do.  say, starting with something as simple
as the "mtools" package for working with DOS floppies.  need a
simple notepad-like editor?  pico.  need to work with graphics
files?  gimp.  programs like acroread and xpdf and so on.
wvware to just look at word files.  you get the idea.

  does something like this exist?  i definitely see the value
in it, and it's something i could hand out to my students.

  anyone else interested?

rday

--
Robert P. J. Day
Eno River Technologies, Durham NC

Microsoft:  Committed to putting the "backward" into "backward compatibility."