[TriLUG] Kernel rebuild -- I/O exception: USB Host support is unavailable.

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sun Oct 7 06:32:08 EDT 2001

I recently recompiled my kernel for the first time so that I
could make Oracle 8.1.7 happy on my Red Hat Linux 7.1 machine.
I'm still running kernel 2.4.2.  I just wanted to bump up semopm,
but I of course fiddled with the other options.

Now, everything seems to be functioning again with my new kernel,
but when I use jphoto to grab images off of my digital camera,
I can't even see the camera anymore.

I got the following error
I/O exception: USB Host support is unavailable.

I've been searching for that error on google, but I can't seem to find
anything for it.  I am compiling the following options into my kernel:

Support for USB
Preliminary USB device filesystem
UHCI support

Rather than randomly enabling additional options and recompiling and
rebooting repeatedly, I was hoping that someone could give me some
advice. :)

---Tom