[TriLUG] Want to remove case sensitivity from Apace (or Filesystem)

Don Brady dbrady at pobox.com
Wed Oct 10 23:10:02 EDT 2001

Some servers (such as IBM Http Server based on Apache and Websphere) are
now also enforcing case sensitivity, even on Windows.    They said they
needed to start doing this for security reasons (I suppose they envisaged
someone having bogus versions of files with names in a different case).

I think the best course is swallow hard and go to the effort of modifying
the web sites so that all file names are lower case, and so are all
references to them.   That way, the websites are portable between Windows
and Linux.   Yes, it is some work, but I decided to do it in a similar case
and I am happy I did.  It is the 100% clean solution that does not rely on
hacks or compromise later portability and maintenance.