[TriLUG] Want to remove case sensitivity from Apace (or Filesystem)

Donald Ball balld at webslingerZ.com
Thu Oct 11 00:24:53 EDT 2001

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Don Brady wrote:

> Some servers (such as IBM Http Server based on Apache and Websphere) are
> now also enforcing case sensitivity, even on Windows.    They said they
> needed to start doing this for security reasons (I suppose they envisaged
> someone having bogus versions of files with names in a different case).
>
> I think the best course is swallow hard and go to the effort of modifying
> the web sites so that all file names are lower case, and so are all
> references to them.   That way, the websites are portable between Windows
> and Linux.   Yes, it is some work, but I decided to do it in a similar case
> and I am happy I did.  It is the 100% clean solution that does not rely on
> hacks or compromise later portability and maintenance.

recasing a directory in the filesystem oughtn't be very difficult, one
could probably do it in bash with help from tr. massaging the links in the
files themselves is a bit trickier, but one could whip up something in
perl using the HTML parser module to change the case of all (local) href
attributes of a elements and src attributes of img elements with little
difficulty. of course, if you use javascript to generate urls client-side
or do any dynamic HTML generation server-side, that'll require some actual
work.

- donald